Monday, August 20, 2007

Textbook Adventures

So today I was able to start the process of getting the Summerit notes of encouragement out to the recent grads. It was fun that every single one of them responded to my initial e-mail (telling them what we had done & asking for their mailing addresses) saying how they were already strongly encouraged to know that we were praying for them. If ever I question the power of encouragement, please remind myself of this experience.

After mailing the first batch out, I got the pleasure to spend sometime perusing the Bookstore for my textbooks. Just for kicks, let's see if you're as surprised with the prices of these books as I am: I will show you a book, you guess the price, then I will reveal the price after you've scrolled down (this was probably one of my favourite random games we played at C4C this past year... what can I say? I'm a dork!).

Principles Of Corporate Finance Authors: Lawrence J. Gitman, San Diego State University & Sean M. Hennessey, University of Prince Edward Island.













*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Price: $113.95






















*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Price: $81.95






*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Price: $37.95... but I snagged one of the only copies at the Used Book Store for $20.
Unfortunately the textbook companies have put new editions out for the first two textbooks so I will have to purchase them at full price unless I can find a better deal online. Even though it does seem somewhat absurd to pay $113+ for one book I will very likely only use for four months of my life, the total amount I will be spending on textbooks this year is considerably less than previous years and than the average student.
Anyhoo with all this contemplation about spending the big bucks, I am going to turn off my computer now so as to save a few cents in electricity and go and do something free... like reading by candlelight ;)
P.S. Here is a very amusing web-site that ought to keep a lot of you entertained for at least five minutes: http://www.thebricktestament.com/ This web-site goes through all of the more well-known Bible stories with illustrations provided by Lego Men & Women. Good times in the cyber world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have two of those books
not the same of course
but something of finance and intermediae accounting and i will have you know they were much more epxensive. as well as my business statistics course which only cost 149 dollars.

Heather said...

Is this Keelz?

I'm kind of OK with the prices too. They were just kind of surprising... I didn't expect the last one to be so cheap compared to the others, for example.