The second news bit would be receiving support from what is now 110 members in just over 48 hours. From alumni (famous and not), to former faculty, to current undergrads (from here AND other schools), to graduate students (again those here, and those that would never come here for the lack of performance facilities), to supportive members of the community (and a big community that is... some from very far away), to family members and significant others who hear us complaining about it all the time. There have been a few really great ideas for what should be put into the performing hall which is a fun extension and keeps the mildly angry topic light-hearted. One of my favourite posts in this realm is by one of the school's organists who writes, "Let me be the first to point out that the new performance hall, when it is built, needs a pipe organ. All the major performance halls now are being built with organs, and a hall without an organ is TOTALLY USELESS. An orchestra without an organist can't play such works as The Planets, Saint-Saens' Third Symphony, Barber's Toccata Festiva, Bax's Second Symphony, Brian's "Gothic" Symphony, the Berio Sinfonia, several Strauss tone poems, Vaughan Williams' "Sinfonia Antarctica", and the vast majority of the choral-orchestral repertoire.And don't make it some dinky little three-manual either - I want a five-manual organ with at least one big solo reed, at least two full-length 32' pedal stops, a Zimbelstern, and a Vogelgesang.Anything less than this is an INSULT to the UWO music department!!!!" Good times. Us music geeks, we got game :P
In other news, God answered prayers for something to do this week while I'm out of work so tomorrow at 7:38 I will catch the bus to go up to help out with a VBS camp at the traditional church I went to for a while this year. I'm slightly apprehensive about this as this will be the first time I've gone back since getting shouted out by some of the youth (some of whom I imagine are working at this too). I'm also kind of frustrated with how some parents put so much responsibility for their child's spiritual upbringing into the hands of other people instead of themselves. The fact that this is only a short stint should help though as I'm not encouraging the practise by parents on a regular basis, right? gah. I wish I felt more at peace about this than I do right now...
Ok off to do some nightly reading. Luke has been amazing for the second (maybe even third?) time through this summer.
Tomorrow I shall start the looooooooooong second stage of the reed making process. I think I will chronicle this online with pictures as I don't think any of my non-bassoon playing friends know even remotely how this works. Seeing as I always get questions about it, I am guessing that it intrigues a lot of you, even slightly, that I own (and use on a regular basis!) more tools than the average man. Hopefully I won't cut myself or make a crap batch. That would be bad.

2 comments:
I think that all parents who send their kids to VBS are not abdicating responsibility for their spiritual maturation. Rather, for many families, VBS provides merely a different context for the lessons that their family is already teaching them... I know that this isn't always the case, but still.. I think it's great that you are participating in it Heather. I think you are serving as an important role model as a "cool young adult/older kid" who still practices their faith. As someone who grew up in the church, I know how important those kinds of role models are as many of them played a large role in shaping my faith.
Mmmhmm... I suppose it is more of the 'drop your kids off at Sunday school and never volunteer' syndrome I experienced with the Sunday school back in Brockvegas... I know this is different though b/c it is during the week and is more of a once-a-year kind of deal. This makes me feel better :)
Post a Comment