So I'm a lucky kid because my spiritual birthday is kind of 3 days after my actual birth-day. I say kind of because it took me just over 10 years from the time I was saved (the actual date I don't remember, but it would've been in the summer) to the time I was baptized (August 6, 2006!)! So praise God for two exciting days rolled close by together! At church this week in Brockvegas we sang an old hymn about how there's a new name written down in glory today. It was extra special b/c it was August 6 but also kind of fun because Mandy, the worship leader, did a poll of the congregation that was there (the contemporary worship people come in after so it was only maybe 30% of the total congregation that day), to see how many people have had their name "written down in glory" for under 5,10,15,25,50, 70, 70+ years. It was REALLY exciting to see both the number of relatively new believers over the age of 60 as well as the number that had been following for over 70 years-- probably about 15-20 people. Anyhoo, here're the lyrics for that hymn for those of you trying to recollect all the words. I didn't know it, and I'm not so sure it would go down as one of those musically well-written hymns, but nevertheless it is catchy and it does stir up some excitement in me!
I was once a sinner, but I came
Pardon to receive from my Lord:
This was freely given, and I found
That He always kept His word.
There’s a new name written down in glory,
And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!
And the white robed angels sing the story,
“A sinner has come home.”
For there’s a new name written down in glory,
And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!
With my sins forgiven I am bound for heaven,
Never more to roam.
I was humbly kneeling at the cross,
Fearing naught by God’s angry frown;
When the heavens opened and I saw
That my name was written down.
There’s a new name written down in glory,
And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!
And the white robed angels sing the story,
“A sinner has come home.”
For there’s a new name written down in glory,
And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!
With my sins forgiven I am bound for heaven,
Never more to roam.
In the Book ’tis written, “Saved by Grace,”
O the joy that came to my soul!
Now I am forgiven, and I know
By the blood I am made whole.
There’s a new name written down in glory,
And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!
And the white robed angels sing the story,
“A sinner has come home.”
For there’s a new name written down in glory,
And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!
With my sins forgiven I am bound for heaven,
Never more to roam.
I finished reading "Road to Reality" this weekend and let me say that it has impacted my views on missions and living modestly. I definitely recommend this book to any Christian who thinks that they only have to give x number of dollars of their income in order to be fulfilling the call to support missions. It has changed how I handle my day-to-day spending as well as how I counsel others about that. It definitely sheads some light on how money can make the world of a difference for a Christian -- both in good and bad ways.
So upon finishing KP's book, I started "True Grit" by Deborah Meroff. It's a book of brief testimonies by women who have worked with Operation Mobilisation and lessons the Lord has taught through their service. I'm already 1/2 way through and it is has been encouraging in too many ways to mention. I suppose the biggest one that stands out would be how you don't have to worry about being alone in making decisions to up-and-leave that career you've always been working for to be involved with overseas missions first-hand. I've said a few times in the last year or so that I am willing to leave behind this nice little music world if that's what God calls me to. When I say things like that, a common response is something like "But why would God have you train for something for so long and then not use it? Why would God let you "waste" money and talent like that?"...etc.,etc.... This book has helped me to peer inside the lives of other women who faced similar questions from their friends and families before they joined the missions field so this has been encouraging fa shizzle mi nizzle (that's rap for "for sure"... yes I'm trying to be cool... but it is my own blog so I'm allowed).
So there is soooooooooooo much more to write about but it is already 1:00 and I have to get up tomorrow to work for 10 and make sure my dad is ok to fend for himself in my apartment for 4 hours...
Thank you for all of your prayers about this weekend-- all-in-all it was pretty good and God showed himself in some new ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment