I went to one of those 'you have to hear once in your lifetime' concerts today. Christopher Herrick, a former organist for Westminster Abbey & St. Paul's (in London, England) did a superb recital tonight. I was guiltily spending some time on Facebook today in the music library when I should have been studying and saw that Steven (one of Jordan's roommates)'s status was "is going to the Christopher Herrick recital tonight and thinks you should too." Seeing as I was already looking for something to do with friends today, this worked out rather nicely. And I have to say this was one of the more enjoyable concerts I have attended in a long time; no modernistic-I-can't-understand-it music. If you've ever heard the notion of "white-people jazz" describing pleasant but not terribly musically awesome jazz, well this concert would very much fit into the "white-people classical" genre; some Buxtehude, Bartok, Bach, and a little George Shearing to keep the old people happy. I'm not sure exactly what was my favourite piece but the Minuet by Boccherini (find it on youtube or something... I promise you that you've heard it) and the See-ah-hum-bah (not sure how you spell that) pieces certainly put a smile on my face :-P.
The Alcan presentation wasn't too horrendous today; my portion definitely kicked some butt with fancy pictures (taken from their annual report) and a video, courtesy of youtube, promoting their commitment to sustainability in the bauxite mining industry. Good times.
Ok I'm going to hit the sack early so as to not fall asleep at random inappropriate times during my almost solidly-packed 9:30am-12midnight day tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment