Monday, October 1, 2007

Sunday Continued

Well after an afternoon spent with my accounting textbook and an evening listening to the sweet sounds of my bassoon with the Stratford CO, I must now mentally prepare for Crazy Week Before Crazy Week [Crazy week being the one with my accounting midterm in it]. This week promises late nights for Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday and very early starts to Tuesday and Wednesday.

I should find out either tomorrow if I qualify for an internship opportunity organized through the M.O.S. (business) department of the university. It would involve an 8-, 12-, or 16-month placement with a business starting in May. You can read up on it here: http://www.mos.uwo.ca/internship/. I would get to test out my skillz whilst making enough money to get rid of my student debt entirely, live, and still have some left over for my last year of school. While I don't know if I even qualify yet, here are some pros & cons I've come up with:

Pros:
- No more debt! Yay! This is a more biblical way of living. It would reduce a lot of stress. I could go into a masters programme being debt-free.
- I wouldn't have to work during my last year of school. This would allow more time for practising & preparing for grad school.
- I could test out whether or not I actually like the non-music world... I honestly think I have forgotten what it is like.
- I could live in a new city & meet new people.
- The younger friends that I have made recently would still be at school when I returned so I wouldn't have to worry about feeling alone when I came back.

Cons
- I would be a year older when I come back to school. This means that a lot of my friends would be gone.
- I might get sucked into the world pursuit of money and give up on music and/or ministry work.
- My chops might fade away due to decreased amounts of practise time.
- I might have to live in a new city... moving stuff & making new friends... uprooting to London did not go so hot last time.
- I'd remain in debt with no real concrete plan to get out of it.
- I might have to call London home for another two years. There are times when one more year than the norm seems very tough & annoying.

Ahh decisions, decisions. Thoughts anyone? Mike I know you took a year off to work: How'd that pan out in the grand scheme of things?

No comments: