Friday, October 26, 2007

Awesome Day

Today was a really great day overall. It started out with a pretty good rehearsal with my accompanist, Rudin. Words cannot describe how thankful I am for having a musical accompanist that works so hard to learn the part. He's such a pleasure to play with.

After a nice break we headed into my lesson and for the first time in a while, the McKay we all know and love made a break through the extreme business and overwhelmed Jim that has been present for the last little bit (working the equivalent of 3 full-time profs this year, it's no wonder he's so different!). I got a lot of really good ideas for what to do with the Hurlestone piece I'm doing and also really appreciated his excitement for how I'm progressing along. We also chatted a bit about the '5-year career' thing (see the previous post) and he had the same 'hmmmmmmm/ thinking' look that I had when I first thought of it. His response was kind of two-fold in that a) I really should consider having kids before 30 (he's recently a grandfather & has been newly reminded of the energy it takes to raise a young child) and b) that's why you get involved with administration. So go team! Music admin all the way! Don't let me quit!

After a rather not-prepared-enough-on-my-part rehearsal of L'Histoire tonight, I had one of those purely God-ordained visits. I was hoping to go and see a concert that Zach Havens (a friend from Brockville) was doing at the Spoke (a campus bar) with a good friend of mine, but alas, turns out he couldn't make it/didn't want to go. Anyhow, as God would have it, I was able to go with Jordan (the 6'6" violinist that I'm sure almost all of you have heard me talk about) and chat with him. We haven't really talked since Thanksgiving-ish and there was so many new things to share that we ended up talking for close to three hours! Before you get all concerned about me talking one-on-one with a boy, there were so many moments where I was sooooo thankful to have someone to talk about whatever with that I was moved to almost-tears. We have had such similar journeys faith-wise with similarities in our family upbringings, relationships, decisions for schooling, housemates, and friendships. There are so many times, moreso in the past than now, that I think I'm the only one around here who's had to deal with xyz and it is SUCH a blessing to find someone else strong in the Lord who's able to fully understand and share similar experiences back. We're both incredibly grateful that the Lord has allowed us to develop such an awesome friendship to help each other through the battlefield that is school.

OK, seeing as it's 1:30 and I'm in a fantastic mood, probably a good time to head for bed.

No comments: