Today at approximately 5:05 pm, not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not even six, but all SEVEN of my reeds on regular rotation were found to be in a disgusting state of moldiness. It's not uncommon to lose one at a time to mold, but for whatever reason, one decided to infect all the others and I've lost them all. I considered taking a picture (they'd even moved beyond the normal 'growing black stage' into the 'growing a white spiderweb-like material' stage... never seen before by my prof... yay for something to be remembered by!) but it was honestly to gross to hold onto, even for me to run home to get my camera. I'm trying to salvage three of the least-moldy ones by letting them sit in hydrogen peroxide for the night, but I think it's going to be a lost cause.
What does this mean to the non-bassoon players of the crowd? Basically that I will be spending a few hours everyday for the next week or so in the reed room trying to make a whole nother set of great reeds. With concert week starting on Sunday and midterms abounding, this should make for a fun scheduling frenzy. In all fairness though, reed making doesn't take a whole lot of brain power, so it is a pleasant break from the world of finance & accounting.
Emmm so some non-reed talk would probably be most welcome...
Tomorrow is election day! God only knows where my registration card is... I know that I put it in a safe place... arg... at least I already have some experience navigating how to vote without one.
Today I discovered that a quick 1/2 hour in the nap really does help my energy levels for the rest of the day. I was really slow in getting going after I awoke though, so I think I'm going to have to give a little bit more thought as to the cost-benefit ratio of this concept.
Bed time for bonzo! See ya tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment