Tonight Erin & I hosted a Thanksgiving potluck for those left without celebrations this weekend. It happened that all of our dishes ended up being vegetarian, which was really good seeing as 5/10 people in attendance don't eat meat! My spinach lasagna seemed to be a big hit which is an answer to prayer in that I didn't use a recipe :$...
This morning I 'played' (and I use the term lightly...) flute for RidgeView's Thanksgiving service. It was definitely fairly interesting trying to remember key signatures, read from lead sheets, play in the treble clef; all things I do not do regularly. I'm fairly convinced that how well I play doesn't matter anyways; it's more the colour / change in sound that helps to focus people's minds for worship. The musician side of me still has a bit of a tough time with the improv thang though.
After chatting with some people this week about it, I'm wondering if we can take the assumption that the average Christian doesn't feel comfortable sharing Jesus-things with their friends and extend it to include talking about Jesus-things to most Christians. There are so many unwritten rules about questioning certain aspects of your faith walk, or discussing it with certain people, that create such an unwelcoming environment for Christians to grow. I'd be interested to know more about how the persecuted church, a growing church, deals with this. For instance, 90% of the time it is considered improper for a female to pray aloud/ talk about spiritual things with a married man, or even a single man to some degree for that matter. I find this truly bizarre from a spiritual point-of-view. Why am I, as a sister in Christ, restricted in my sisterly activities? (I should assure you that this issue arises out of no particular situation... just me having some time to finally think things through). Perhaps I have missed out on some biblical principle here? Anyone have any ideas?
Tomorrow is turkey time with the Woodford family from the house fellowship. I'm looking really forward to having spiritual discussions, with whomever. Thankfully family environments tend to devalue a lot of these unwritten rules...
Burdened for the saved again...
Heather
No comments:
Post a Comment