Sunday, February 27, 2011

The last of the 3 day updates

So these pics are all from my solo trip to St. Thomas on Thursday. St. Thomas is pretty much due South of London by about 30 minutes. I thought I'd never been there before but turns out I've driven through it a few times on the way to various beaches on Lake Erie. I also thought it was pretty small but the population is actually 36,000 and there's a Ford plant and Wal-Mart and everything.

Shelly's Gifts. Where I found the bear getting ready to maul a fish:

There were a lot of murals of trains and things in the town. I think they were the first place to have passenger trolly trains in the town or something.
There was this really nice church right across from a string of Money Marts and pawn shops.
The store where I was able to find the flying discs. A little deceiving from the outside? I think so. They do things a little different in St. Thomas.



The Little Red Mitten. Home to oodles of yarn and things.

These pics are to document something I've never seen before: rolling yarn into a ball. When I bought the yarn in came in these big loops instead of a standard ball. Thankfully they showed (and then just did for me) how to make balls with this nifty contraption. I'm sure this saved me a lot of time and frustration. woot!


Don't worry, I asked if I could take her picture!

The last pic I have of my trip is a life size replica of Jumbo the elephant. Jumbo was killed by a passenger train there in 1885 so they decided to erect a $50,000 statue in his honour.

Hope you enjoyed this little tour of my stops in St. Thomas. It wasn't the nicest of places (lots of empty shops and not so great looking people on the streets) but did have a fair amount of charm and is probably a lot nicer in the summer.

No comments: