Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007

It is hard to believe that it is 2008 already. 2010 is just around the corner even though it feels like 2000 happened so recently. A lot of big things have happened this year:
  • I learned how to stand on my own two feet spiritually
  • I won my first set of auditions (for a summer program and two orchestras)
  • I went on my first overseas mission trip (to Scotland in Feb/Mar)
  • I spent the entire year without really dating anyone seriously for an extended period of time (first time since grade 11 I think?!... and this is a good thing... trust me)
  • I started playing the contrabassoon
  • I ran more in the last year than I probably have 1986-2006 combined
  • I've had a more relaxed and happy demeanor than probably ever before

With all of the extra thinking time that comes with the holidays, I think I am getting a clearer sense for what 2008 and beyond might hold. I have concluded that I value having a spiritual impact on the world around me more than I care about succeeding financially, musically, or otherwise. I may have said this in previous years, but I can truly say that I believe it wholeheartedly this year, enough so that I am seriously questioning whether or not my plans to do a masters and then to perform professionally really fit with this change in rank of values. In the last week, I have been able to say for the first time that I would feel so satisfied with leaving the career world to have a family & influence the world through that.

This thought process is by no means finished but writing on this blog has most definitely helped me to sort out my thoughts while receiving feedback from those I love and trust, even if I don't talk to you everyday. Thank you all for your friendship & support this year and I pray that you will all have an awesome 2008 with many experiences leading you towards becoming more like Him!

No comments: