Thursday, January 27, 2011

Networking Fair Fun

Lenny's at Book Club tonight so that means I'm watching as much HGTV and TLC as I can possibly squeeze in. So far so good: House Hunters International, Disaster DIY, Holmes on Holmes; life is good.

Today I went to a networking fair and learned that apparently LinkedIn has become way more popular overnight than I ever anticipated it would be. Anyhoo, the number of people asking me if I had a profile at the fair prompted me to put one up. Once I started connecting with people I was very surprised at just how many people are using it.

While there were no concrete job leads at the networking event, I did learn of a few organizations to join for HR professionals in London at discount prices, some tips for passing the national qualifying exam for CHRP, as well as some new websites to explore. They also had a pretty decently long list of major employers in London, some of which I have yet to explore.

The disheartening part of the fair was the number of "recent" graduates that have been looking for a job in London since they graduated last April. This scares me that I could be without a job for that long. Eeks. I can't worry about it too much right now or I'll go more nutso than I already am but sheesh, I'm not looking forward to months of unemployment if that's what my future holds!

Well tomorrow should be full of adventures:
  • my first test this semester. HR planning. yippee!
  • another meeting with the Running Room.
  • a visit to watch my cousin Jessie play with her hockey team. The game is literally in my backyard... can't get much closer than that!

No comments: