Hello,
This is a guest post by Lenny. I do many things, and most recently, I've come down with a high fever and chills. I spent the better part of last night and this morning baking myself between heaters, blankets and warm clothing.
Enough about being sick though. Yesterday's trip to Fire Roasted Coffee Roastery was *the* best coffee-related experience of my life. I usually describe myself as having coffee flowing through my veins, depicting my life-time love (read: addiction) to coffee.
The tasting program was designed by the master roaster himself, Patrick. He lined up 10 or so different coffees they roast, some blends and some pure bean roasts. We got interesting stories of where the particular beans come from, and what factors influence their flavour and their roasting. As well, we were given cups to sample the coffee (these were unlimited samplings!).
I discovered they supply a blend of coffee - a 70%/30% split, post-blend - of Sumatran Gayo and Ethiopia Harrar beans. These two coffees by themselves were everything I look for in a red wine - bold palatte, heavy body and subtle flavour accents. Of the single roast coffees however, I would have to stick with the Harrar if I wanted a slow sipping cup, consisting of smoky, almost achieving roasted marshmallows over a campfire flavour. The Sumatran Gayo on the other hand was not so bold in flavour, though still a dark roast, and tended to be more delicate on the palate providing grassy, earthy hints to the coffee.
I did not buy any coffee that day, only because I bought freshly roasted beans the previous night, but I now have a wishlist and will be back soon.
Unfortunately, there was not much to say about the Carolinian winery. The building was more designed to sell wine accessories and Christmas decorations, with an inexpensive restaurant attached. We both decided to have quiche for lunch, which was tasty, and chased it down with a Riesling and Cranberry wine. The Riesling was surprisingly flavourful, thought barely sweet. I really had no expectations of the quality of local wine, but it wasn't disappointing. The cranberry wine was delicious - very sweet, with a blush appearance. I couldn't determine the main body of the wine - though I suspect it was similar to a Vidal wine.
Well that's all for me. I've worked up an appetite for coffee. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment