Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sleepy Sleepy Heather

I slept for 13 hours yesterday. It was pretty fantastic. To add to the fantasticness, I haven't even opened a textbook for the last 48 hours. I can slowly sense that my brain is coming back to normal working order again. :)

Tomorrow is Family Day in Ontariario. I will be spending the vast majority of it at the music building: A L'Histoire du Soldat rehearsal at 9am, followed by a Fawlty Towers gathering at 1 (which is supposed to last a few hours but alas...), and a recording session with the Wind Ensemble from 3:30-8. Sounds like a holiday packed with family time, eh?

The concert in Stratford went fairly well today. I'm still a little shocked when I get handed cheques at these concerts: "Whaaaaaaaat?! Using my music degree to make money?!?!! How bizarre!!!" With my bassoon going in for repairs a week from tomorrow, it is a good thing that a little extra cash is flowing my way (last time the repair bill was something in excess of $600).

I have been working my way through the "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard J. Foster, as recommended by Steven on my Lenten Thoughts post. I have to say that much of my skepticism has been laid aside with his Quaker quotes and scriptural references. I think the first real thinker moment came on p. 6 which reads as follows:

... God has given us the Disciplines of the spiritual life as a means of receiving His grace. The Disciplines allow us to place ourselves before God so that He can transform us. The apostle Paul said, "he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life" (Gal. 6:8). A farmer si helpless to grow grain; all he can do is to provide the right conditions for the growing of grain. He puts the seed in the ground where the natural forces take over and up comes the grain. That is the way with the Spiritual Disciplines--they are a way of sowing the Spirit. The Disciplines are God's way of getting us into the ground; they put us where He can work within us and transform us.

Hmmmmmm definitely some food for thought, eh?

Bedtime for bonzo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

You got me curious regarding spiritual disciplines.
(1)What discipleines are recommended in the book you are reading?
(2)What actions are taught in the sowing and reaping context of Galatians 6?

Bruce W