In other news, while searching for an article to write my Arts Admin blog on, I came across Naxos' list of the 2007 Best Sellers (available http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,2253911,00.html). I was pretty surprised to see the Glass Symphony as #2 & Canteloube Chants d'Auvergne (I'm doing this in Hamilton at the next concert!), but not as surprised as I was to see JOHN RUTTER!?!?! Seriously?! #7!?!?!?! Before Mozart? :S What is the world coming to? [for the non-art music people in the crowd, John Rutter writes some of the world's most cheesiest music, and is generally despised by at least 90% of all church choir members]. Anyhoo, without further ado, the Bestsellers of 2007 @ Naxos were:
1. Orff Carmina Burana - 32,000
2. Glass Symphony [No 4/The Light] - 23,000
3. Handel Messiah [1751 version] -16,000
4. Adams Complete Piano Music - 14,000 --> Who is this guy?
5. Brahms Symphony No 3/Haydn Variations -13,500
6. Shostakovich Jazz Suites -13,000
7. Canteloube Chants d'Auvergne Vol 2 -12,500
8. Rutter Requiem/Anthems -12,000
9. Mozart Requiem -12,000
10. Pärt Berliner Messe - 11,500
For kicks, I searched out the all-time bestsellers, but there were no real surprises...
1. Vivaldi Four Seasons - 1,400,000
2. Orff Carmina Burana - 480,000
3. Beethoven Most Famous Sonatas - 450,000
4. Mozart Requiem - 400,000
5. Fauré Requiem - 310,000
6. Prokofiev Peter and the Wolf/Britten Young Person's Guide - 300,000
7. Strauss II Most Famous Waltzes - 280,000
8. Mozart Eine kleine Nachtmusik/Serenata Notturna - 270,000
9. Handel Water/Fireworks Music - 260,000
10. Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2/Paganini Variations - 240,000
Ok, time to get back to real work now.
4 comments:
John Adams was one of the creators of the minimalist movement (along with Glass, Terry Riley etc). He is probably most known for his extremely controversial opera "Death of Klinghofer" which discusses the Israel/Palestine conflict.
Are there really such things as non-music people in the world? I don't know any...
Your definition of music must be rather broad then ;) :P
Big God, big music... Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, ALL ye lands... I grew up where people have music and rhythm exuding from their pores. Big world, diverse peoples, diverse music. Good??? I think so, don't you? Who defines music? Just wondering. Just messin' with ya. = )
Post a Comment