Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Lack of Motivation at the Student Ghetto

So our apartment is full of lack of motivation right now. Neither Erin, my roomie (see sidebar for a link to her blog), nor I have a huge desire to get off our tired butts and do any of the following: practise more, take out the garbage/recycling, go for runs, figure out who owes what for summer bills, etc., etc.. I think it's totally awesome how I don't feel so bad for not doing things when there's someone so close by who doesn't feel like doing them either. I love my roomie :) I expect this state to only last quite literally, only a few more hours though, so don't think this is how we spend our 99% of our time.

Today I finished the second last stage of reed making for 5 reeds. I'm glad that I'll have a new batch to play on for the first little while -- nothing says "I don't want to practise" like the threat of moldy/smelly reeds! :)

Tomorrow is audition day and I'm more concerned about what I can conjure up to wear than I am with how I'm going to perform. The nice thing about Prof. McKay & auditions is that he uses the exact same excerpts every year. While some might consider this a waste (why not learn a whole bunch over the course of a few years?), it reflects actual auditions quite well. I've been checking out www.musicalchairs.net recently (they post all orchestra openings world-wide), and it's generally always these three excerpts anyways. FYI, the supreme goodness includes: Tchaikovsky's Symphony Number Four, Second Movement; Ravel's Bolero (shoot the tuner now); & Mozart's Marriage of Figaro (where we have the same opening figures as the violins... because you know, a bassoon is a very easy instrument to make sound like an effortless violin... for those that don't know, Mozart was actually trying to make the parts impossible for his musicians to play). Anyhoo, good times. Can't wait until I don't have to hear any of these for 12 more months :P (I wish)

In other excerpt-land news, my December excerpts are coming along really well. This summer, I figured I might as well spend some time practising something useful so I went ahead and started working on them, months and months before I did last year. Hopefully this will reflect in my marks... No losing free money because of being less than 1% under the requirements for me this year... yay me.

Anyhoo, off to get a good night's rest; tomorrow shall be the first sleep in day in a while :)

No comments: