Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A discouraging day, but...

Yesterday started out fairly well; I made it to school for 8am as planned despite having been at a group meeting until 11ish the night before (unplanned). I filled in for our secretary, as per normal when I work in the office, and had muchos fun answering telephones & sorting mail. I think I finally have the knowhow to fix about 95% of all the problems the photocopier gets itself into. It is so exciting to find that pesky piece of jammed paper in 15sec when a few months ago it would have taken me 15min (no joke). Needless to say, I am becoming the resident expert in Xerox repairs.

Despite having my creative contribution towards a group presentation fall apart this weekend, my group managed to put on quite a good presentation to my Organizational Behaviour Class -- my last one for quite some time! :)

At night-time I participated in my first ever electronic music concert. How does electric bassoon work you ask? The way it worked this time is that I was recorded (in one of those padded rooms they stick select people into sometime :P ) and then when I played live, the music on the tape was played back. It was a really neat experience but there was some anxiety on the stage thanks to some counting/rhythm issues. I learned that I either need to find a better way of encouraging people to practice or just need to be ok with people that like to take different tempi than the rest of the group. Needless to say, the actual concert was somewhat frustrating; I know it could have sounded so much better. Anyhoo, here's a fun video that showcases the electric bassoon that I'm more familiar with:



Neat eh?

Anyhoo to add to the yuckiness, I have to finish my 20-page paper today, sign a lease (i.e. spend big $$), and figure out if I want to sign up for a summer course (turns out they won't be needing me at WindFest afterall, so I've got a lot more time in the summer to figure out what to do with). I was chatting with the dean at a concert I went to before the electronic music concert and he was really trying to persuade me to finish a Management & Organizational Studies degree, instead of graduating with the Music Administrative Studies degree I'm planning on graduating with now. Pros to doing that are that I don't have to take any more accounting (I wasn't terrible at it , but it was a lot of work), I should be more employable in the non-music field of administration. Cons are that I'd have to take TWO calculus courses (and let's just say the first one I took two years ago was near-disastrous), and because I currently have 8.0 courses left required for a BMOS degree, and normally you take 5.0 during the school year, I'm looking at taking 3.0 courses over the course of the summer/internship year... Just when I thought I was about to be able to take a break from school, it looks like I might have to stick at it. UGH.

In encouraging news, check out Andrew's blog.

Also, who is visiting from Guelph and Burlington on a regular basis? I don't mind visitors, I'm just curious.

Also I have so little groceries right now and no laundry. It looks like I better start this 15-degree day by enjoying some of the outdoors, because it doesn't look like I'll be getting out anytime soon. Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i commented on this one on the wrong day... so see below :( at first i thought you deleted my comment and i was heartbroken then i realized it was just my own stupidity:)