Monday, December 13, 2010

The best of intentions

Well I have to say I had the best of intentions, but sometimes things just don't work out the way you'd hope them to.

I left the studying for my most recent exam until the day prior to it. This was for two reasons really: 1) I hadn't done any studying yet and figured that short-term memory was the way to go and 2) I just didn't really want to read about such a boring topic when the midterm was sooo easy that I anticipated the final to be much the same: short and sweet.

As many of you know, Lenny purchased tickets to see the Stuart McLean Vinyl Cafe Christmas show as a surprise a while back. Unfortunately these tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable and this exam I really didn't want to study for was scheduled for the "same bat place" at the "same bat time." Now I love Stuart McLean; I've been listening to him for as long as I can remember, however, I also like the prospect of not having to repeat a course because I didn't show up to the final exam. So stress from the planned cramming was combined with the stress of writing the exam in 33 minutes so I could catch a cab to Centennial Hall and catch as much of the show as I could.

The best of intentions.

Unfortunately the cramming was down to the wire; I literally finished the last page of required reading material 5-10 minutes before the exam started. Then walking into the exam I have a fun awkward moment with an old church friend I haven't seen in probably five years; further stress. As I opened the exam booklet I discovered that there were 70 questions, significantly up from the 30 I anticipated. And as I got started, I discovered that this was not nearly as easy as the midterm; ambiguous questions galore. I completed the exam not feeling so confident and then proceeded to wait for a scheduled cab to arrive. Waiting for someone has become more stressful in recent years/months...patience is something practice does not make perfect for me. Anyhoo the cab arrives and due to the awesome road conditions, can only travel about 30-40 km/hr down to the hall.

Get to the hall and I hear applause. Unfortunately by the time I make it to the door for my seat to join Len, someone starts singing again and I have to wait. Wait = more stress. 5 minutes later, I get to enjoy bursting into the balcony with all the house lights down and crawl over 4 very confused people + Len (why didn't he sit on the other side!?!?) to find my seat. They had been sitting there for over an hour and the temperature was easily pushing 30, so I don't blame them for being a little grumpy.

Cue some cute-sauce moments with kids and babies on the stage and then, ta-da, intermission. Dam. Could have spent 15 more minutes reviewing my hasty 70 multiple choice answers. It's around this point that I realize I'm wearing four layers because I anticipated such a big hall to be cold. It's hot. Cue further angstiness.

So that pretty much brings me to now. Sure there was a solid hour and half left of the show, but it just didn't seem right, like I missed all the inside jokes. Kind of like when you turn the radio on half way through his stories. Sigh.

Well that's pretty much my story for the night. I wish I had a better way to help myself out of this funk other than sleep, but I think that's the best option I can come up with right now. My brain is filled with useless facts I'll never need to know again afterall. Hopefully the next Stuart McLean show visit goes better.

No comments: