Sunday, December 12, 2010

Adventures in Lucan

On Saturday we decided to take a trip to Lucan, a small town outside of London that got 75 cm more snow than we did (175cm vs. 100cm). Truth be told it didn't seem that much different than London, but whatever; it's still a lot of snow.

Lucan is probably most "famous" for being the home of the Black Donnellys (yes those ones you learned about in history class years and years ago). Most of the kitschy stores in the area sell Black Donnelly memorabilia and there are some descendants from the families involved in the masacre still living in the area. Here's a pic of the Donnelly museum and if you're ever interested in going, they're not open on Saturdays.

Next up we walked next door to the Stuffed Zucchini, a little restaurant, for lunch. We went on recommendation of James Reaney's blog, however, apparently since zucchinis are out of season, we had to settle for other Greek-themed food. Below is a picture of the Greek butter bean dish Len ordered. I've never seen these before but they were mighty tasty!


Our last stop was a little place called Pine Valley. I'd never been but they had a really cute "Open" sign, so I convinced Lenny to go in. It's got a very similar feel to the Village Green in Westport, ON or Legg's General Store in the metropolis of Birr, ON. There were some really neat arts and crafty things and it's definitely some place I'll take my mom the next time she comes down and is looking for an adventure.

This last picture shows what the plows are up against when they want to actually expand the highway to its natural 4-lanes. No easy task! I suspect that because Lucan is basically a farm town, the snow squalls really reeked some havoc here.

Well that's it for our trip. Hope you enjoyed a wee tour of Lucan!

No comments: