Monday, October 17, 2011

Torta alle mele di nonna (Grandma's Apple Torte)

When we were in Italy, Lenny's nonna made this delicious apple torte for breakfast in the morning. His aunt Mariarosa got us a few Italian cookbooks and one of them had a very similar recipe to the one that nonna uses for the torte. 

I have been trying to change it up for breakfast options, so this week seemed like the perfect time to try it out. Here's the before:


And the scrumptious after:

Lenny and I both really liked it though it was quite sweet. I think next time I'll try to make it with less sugar.

While the recipe was originally in Italian, here's a quasi-English translation... No guarantees it's 100% accurate, but it worked for me! I should also say that the recipe called for a package of levener for sweets... so I substituted for baking powder & baking soda; they don't have either of those products available on their own in Italy.

Ingredients:
3-4 apples
3 eggs
250g flour
250g butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
250g sugar

Directions:
Melt the butter and mix it with the sugar. Separately, mix the baking powder, baking soda, and flour separately; make sure there are  no clumps. Add the yolks into to the butter-sugar mix. Whisk the egg whites and then add into the butter-sugar mix. Mix both bowls together. Pour into a pan and then add the chopped apples. Bake at 180 C for 40 minutes.

No comments: