Sunday, October 2, 2011

CIBC Run for the Cure

This morning Lenny and I participated in our second Run for the Cure together. It was very cold -- 4 degrees -- but we both moved really quickly. I really enjoyed visiting with one of Lenny's scientist friends, Valeria, and practicing my Italian on the walk. She just turned... Awesome... on Sept. 30, so we've decided that we'll get together for a festa di compleanno (birthday party) this coming Friday evening. It also works out because Friday is my last day at work, so we'll have two things to celebrate!

After the run, we walked back home and Lenny made his Pumpkin Spice Lattes to assist in the warming up process. He's asked me to share the recipe with you all so consider yourselves lucky... this is amazing:


Ingredients to serve 2 cups:

Espresso - 4 fl. oz. (1/2 cup)
Milk - 1.5 cups
Vanilla - 1 tsp.
Cinnamon - 3/4 tsp.
Ginger - 1/2 tsp.
Nutmeg - 1/4 tsp.
All-spice - 1/4 tsp.
Cloves - 1/8 tsp.
Maple syrup - 1 tbsp.

How do you brew this wonderfully spicy drink?

1) Set up stove-top espresso machine ove medium heat. It should take about 8 minutes to brew 1/2 cup.
2) In a small saucepan, whisk all spices, vanilla and maple syrup into the milk. Treat this like risotto and don't walk away, always stirring. Keep heat medium to medium-low to avoid burning the milk or curdling.
3) When steam starts to rise from the milk, turn heat off but continue stirring.
Optional: if you have a frother, now's the time to froth up your milk.
4) When espresso is brewed, pour milk mixture into mugs, and add espresso overtop.
5) Drink that heavenly mix.

This afternoon after we were all warmed up, I headed out to the Superstore to get some groceries and check out any discounted fall decorations while Len worked on his computer. I didn't end up finding any fall decorations that I wanted (but they did have some nice Christmas stuff I had to pry myself away from) but I did find a few good deals on some things we needed, saving a whopping $4 total!


Dove Soap Bars -- 2 @ 3.29/each = $6.58 - $2 coupon when you buy two = $4.58
Egg Whites -- $2.79 - $0.50 coupon = $2.29
Dawn Dish Soaps -- 2 @ 1.99/each = $3.98 - $1 coupon when you buy two = $2.98

Well that's all the excitement for today. This week's goal is to only eat out (Starbucks included!) twice or less this week. Let's see how I do!!

No comments: