While this post is entitled Sally's first day, it's really just Sally's first day so far... it's only 3 but you're all so anxious for pictures that I thought I'd post some up for you (especially seeing as she's having a Busy Bone right now and Lenny is having a nap!).
A Cesar Milan book I've been reading suggested that you take your new dog out for a walk in the old neighbourhood, make the car ride, have another walk in the new neighbourhood, provide food at their new house, and then go about your normal day. That's what we've done and it's gone really well I think!
Here's Sally in a park near her foster mom's house on walk #1.
Getting acquainted with the car smells and a comfy car blanket. In hindsight, using one of my less brightly coloured blankets would've been nice... it's a little startling to look back in your rearview mirror and see so many coloured stripes!
Checking me out one more time.
And she's so comfortable in the car that she falls asleep within about 5 minutes. Awesome.
Her foster mom showed me that the Kong toys that they had. I had bought a traditional Kong, made by Kong toy, but I guess it's one size to small; Sally has also not really taken to it.
What she has liked toy-wise so far though, is the Omega Paw treat ball. Unfortunately this is not as durable as the Kong treat balls:
Soooo, this afternoon I think we will be making a trip out to Pets Mart and picking up a Kong treat ball (and a Kong bone while we're at it!).
The last pic I have is of her enjoying what I think will be her favourite spot in the living room: right in the corner of the couch so she can see out the window. In this pic she's clearly more interested in the Busy Bone than the window, but you get the idea.
In other good news, as soon as I gave her the Busy Bone, she went into her crate to eat it. I had left the door open in case she wanted to explore that too, and sure enough, she seems pretty happy in there.
Well I'm off to drink some newly brewed espresso from a newly-awake Lenny and then I think it's off to Pets Smart for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment