
A third elementary school classmate of mine passed away yesterday. Douglas Scott (we called him Douggie) was shot to death after responding to a report of a suspected impaired driver in Kimmirut, Nunavut. Ever the news junky, I thought it bizarre that a twenty year-old RCMP officer had passed away but as I continued reading I discovered that not only was he from Brockville, but he and I were classmates from JK-grade 7 along with 18ish other kids (yay country schools). You can read the story here: http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=8301392802922772670. Everyone seems to be in shock; it's so weird to loose yet another friend to a freak accident in less than a year.
After a horrendous finance lecture today, I've concluded that in order for me to understand a topic I find mildly interesting, I *really* need a prof who speaks in full sentences. This class is so disheartening, words cannot describe it. Poor Josh asked me how my day was going as I was preparing to go to orchestra an hour early (yes I'm that out of it these days :D) and I kind of almost started crying for about 10 minutes. Good times. Seeing as I didn't even bring my books with me to school in the afternoon, I had a whole hour to kill and he suggested that I spend some downtime with the Lord. Smart boy... not too many ways you can say that to an upset woman without getting smacked in the face! :P Anyhow, I did take his advice and came across Psalm 30. I thought it was pretty awesome in this Message version so here it is for all you to be inspired too:
Psalm 30
I give you all the credit, God— you got me out of that mess,
you didn't let my foes gloat.
God, my God, I yelled for help
and you put me together.
God, you pulled me out of the grave,
gave me another chance at life
when I was down-and-out.
All you saints! Sing your hearts out to God!
Thank him to his face!
He gets angry once in a while, but across
a lifetime there is only love.
The nights of crying your eyes out
give way to days of laughter.
When things were going great
I crowed, "I've got it made.
I'm God's favorite.
He made me king of the mountain."
Then you looked the other way
and I fell to pieces.
I called out to you, God;
I laid my case before you:
"Can you sell me for a profit when I'm dead?
auction me off at a cemetery yard sale?
When I'm 'dust to dust' my songs
and stories of you won't sell.
So listen! and be kind!
Help me out of this!"
You did it: you changed wild lament
into whirling dance;
You ripped off my black mourning band
and decked me with wildflowers.
I'm about to burst with song;
I can't keep quiet about you.
God, my God,
I can't thank you enough.
I decided that some comfort food was in order after my fantabulous day and so decided to make apple crisp tonight. Unfortunately I started preparing the recipe for Apple Cockaigne not noticing for quite some time that this was not what I had intended to make. Nevertheless, it turned out quite tasty... probably the considerable larger amounts of sugar, butter, and cinnamon!
Still tickin' away!
No comments:
Post a Comment