So today was a buzy day.
Started off doing reception in the music building over the lunch hour and then helping eight more first-years with their time tables. w00t...
I worked up the hill from 1:30-7:30... nothing too exciting there
At 7:30 I went to see the National Youth Orchestra of Canada at Alumni Hall. I'm sure they were very good but with the absolute crapness of the acoustics in that gym, you couldn't really tell by the sounds of it... they did look professional. I'm kicking myself in the pants for not auditioning for them this year... it really would have been a much better way to spend my summer than "working". Next year, I WILL audition. Also, note to self, next time I meet someone with $35 000 000 in the bank, I must convince them to donate it to the faculty to have a hall built. Perhaps if it were $70 000 000, they could speed up the building process and actually get it done before I leave here. Here's hoping. Don McKellar (one of the "founding fathers" of the faculty of music) keeps joking with me that I have to marry rich. I am his "only hope" after 35 years of trying the proper way. Gotta love it when old men love you that much...
On the bright side, I talked to my prof about playing with the Hamilton Orchestra next year and I'm in. w00t. So this coming year will entail 4 less hours of class a week but God only knows how much more rehearsal times with two more orchestras, a larger focus on technique in lessons, and sectionals for orchestra (for those of you that haven't heard... they're running Monday and/or Wednesdays at 12:30... oh and orchestra is now from 3:30-6:00, not 3:30-5:30 ... while I'm on it, bassooners and other less-cool instrumentalists, there are new excerpts for everyone's audtions this year). I'll cover a lot of good rep this way between the three orchestras which should help make up for lost time... I know I'm only 20 but seriously, I'm still playing catch up in the music game... I think a lot of people that went to the NYO concert tonight felt that way... half of the kids were under the age of 20... The flute soloist alone in Daphnis and Chloe was 14. FOURTEEN! There are excellent 25 year-old flautists at the faculty who could not have played as well as that kid did. Oh the age game. How I already despise you.
Well I am off to do some tidying and reading before bed. Please pray that the subject of leadership styles appeals to me tomorrow. Earlier today, reading about it was like reading about how to watch paint dry. Oh joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment