Listening to: Tchaikovsky, Symphony 5, Movement 2 (Vive le basson et la clarinette!); Pulcinella Sinfonia Overture
So no real excitement on the home front-today. I finished my textbook readings on union/management relations as well as the assigned lecture note. Now all I have to make it through is 2 more articles, 1 more lecture note, and the odd snipits of textbook readings. Definitely do-able before Wednesday evening.
My dad's going to come up on Wednesday and then we're going to drive back to Brockvegas for the weekend. With any luck we'll be heading to the Ottawa Chamber Music Festival on Friday to see Suba Sankaran perform. I'm going to guess that 99.9% of you don't know who Suba is but I'm sure you would like her voice. Her dad Trichy and my dad have some sort of drumming connection... Her voice is really neat because she's been brought up in the south-Indian music system but is now fluent with the Western system as well (the south-Indian system uses a different scale where there are like 4 more notes in between any of our semi-tones -- the distance between a black key and a white key on the piano moreorless). Give it a try and visit http://www.myspace.com/subasankaran . Of the examples she has on there that you can listen to, I'd advise "Night in Tunisia" for a jazz selection.
I'm not sure what the blogging situation will be like back in Brockvegas... the computer/internet situation is lacking a bit much compared to here. If all goes according to plan, I should be back in town Monday evening.
So the next bit may bother some people, I don't know, but I'm enjoying this thinking out loud process & the comments that come with doing so.... so if you start to get uncomfortable, just stop reading. I won't post anything new and exciting after, I promise!
So in my journey to get to know Jesus better, I've been reading through the Gospels over and over again lately, in different translations. Right now I'm working through Mark with the Message version (yes I know it is not a translation... it paraphrases). It is very awesome that no matter how many times we read the same passages over and over again, a new insight is almost always found (perhaps it is also the whole not-speed-reading three chapters a day which was how I was how I read until not too long ago). Last night going through Mt. 5, I got to thinking about the parts on adultery. If you've read my earlier posts, you'll know that I was searching out Joshua Harris's web-sites etc. Anyhoo, on one of the Facebook groups of his followers, there was a long ensuing debate about how this one Christian guy adamently stated that he when he read the part about Shannon's history it really threw him for a loop. This guy goes on to talk about how he will never date, let alone marry someone who is not a virgin and if the girl doesn't let him know within the first few dates, that's just wrong [i.e. Shannon waiting so long to tell Josh about her history seemed extremely unfair to him]. I'm not 100% sure why this has stuck with me for a few days but whatever... Anyhoo so relating this back to Mt. 5... it states "But don't think you've perserved your virture simply by staying out of bed. Your heart can be corrupted by lust even quicker than your body. Those leering looks you think nobody notices--they also corrupt." I'm finding that my thoughts relating these two are difficult to put into words but here goes a try... According to "For Women Only," verrrry few (if any) men can just not not look at a woman. I'm presuming this would apply for unmarried men as well (the book was only written about married couples).... so piecing these thoughts together one can assume that [all] men have sinned in this way before marriage (isn't this encouraging?! Sorry guys... I'm just thinking this through). In a sense here, Jesus is comparing adultery to wandery eyes, so is it too much to assume that adultery is no worse off than losing your virginity? Is this as close as Jesus comes to dealing with this issue? I'm sure there's more to this issue in my brain but I think that is it for now. Time for sleepykins.
No comments:
Post a Comment