Today I got up at an obscenely early hour (in terms of "summer vacation time") and went up to T.O. to see a recital put on by The Angry Organist. Prior to the recital however, I successfully navigated the TTC system en seul to visit the Bata Shoe Museum (a major accomplishment for a directionally-challenged individual like me). I've heard from many people that it is an excellent museum and I have to say, I was not disappointed. If you get a chance, it is only $6 for students , pretty interesting, and very easy to find.
The recital would have made everyone of you smile from beginning to end. No joke :) . The first thing to smile about was that his name was flashing on the church's info board prior to the concert -- nothing like seeing an organist's name in blinky flashing lights to turn a frown upsidedown :P. The next thing that would make you smile would probably be noticing that the organ console was caged in by bars. Kayla, Osbert's mum, & I all debated as to why it would be caged in: so he wouldn't fall off the stage; so he'd know where "his place" was) but when his dad arrived, he settled it once and for all: it was to protect the organist from objects being thrown at him. Always count on daddios for moral support :). Item number three of interest might be me quasi clapping enthusiastically when Osbert came out only to realize that you don't apparently do this at organ concerts. Item number four belongs to the introductory prayer prior to the concert. I don't remember exactly what was said but it was something along the lines of "make your glory known to all who listen through the melodies of this piece." Normally this would've been fairly appropriate, however, the programme consisted entirely of 12-tone serialistic music. It made Kayla and I laugh out loud a little... I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud at a prayer... Don't worry though, I'm fairly certain no one else (except for Osbert's parents maybe) heard me. Anyhoo, as for the actually performance of the recital, I was fairly impressed. Anyone who can make it through a performance of a difficult piece and portray a sense of confidence is good in my books (well nearly anyone...it applies here though for sure). I took some videos and photos but it will be at least July before I am able to post any of that stuff up anywhere (and likely it will just be Facebook -- got to keep the man a mystery!).
After the recital I took a tour of the Great James workshop and had my knife sharpened. While the process was fairly interesting and he was very good at explaining each of the stages I imagine it'd be a similar experience to watch a close friend get operated on (not to be too overdramatic or anything)! I spend sooooooooo much time with that knife! For those of you that have ever seen someone work on your instrument, you know what I mean. Anyhoo, I came away having made a new friend, the Great James, and a super sharp reed knife. Yay :D
Tonight I watched My Dog Skip. What a moving movie. Aha! Punny! (sorry, but I have been hanging out with Osbert, a king of puns, today). If Starsky were here with me tonight no doubt we'd be having some snuggle time!
Tomorrow I am helping guide hundreds of high school students around the faculty for some sort of festival going on here. Should be tonnes of fun if anyone wants to volunteer some hours.
I think that's all I have to report. Ttyl
Ah yes, as a P.S., I have decided to drop the summer school courses & participate in the summer playing programmes. I'll put up the concert schedule as it becomes available.
No comments:
Post a Comment