:-D
Yesterday was a fairly uneventful morning & time at work, but the afternoon proved to have a lot of fun in store. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I arranged to have my hair done for the first time in a while. I went to the same place that I've had it done the last few times, but opted for someone different this time.
I was looking for some more brightness as my blond hair is slowly going more and more brown as I get older. With the encouragement of my mom's permission to put it on her Visa, I gladly ordered up some highlights. I forewarned my new hairdresser that I wanted fairly natural looking high lights as I only get this done once in a new moon (I think the last time was August? maybe even before that...). Anyhow, I also forewarned her that my hair is very sensitive to taking colour as almost every hair dresser who has touched my hair has told me this. The longest time I recall ever being in foils was 15 minutes and that was probably too long (I definitely had some bleached-white streaks but it turned out to not be sooo bad because it was summer time).
Yesterday, however, I set a new record and was in foils for over half an hour. My lovely new hairdresser decided to take on another client while I was sitting under the heater and I think she must have lost track of time because another hairdresser who was working nearer to me came and took the heater thing off after looking worriedly at me for a while after the 20-minute mark... When my hair dresser did finally come over, I took a mental picture of her deer-in-head-lights eyes as she opened the foils to see if my hair was done. I was rushed over to the sink where she took them out mighty quickly. She explained that some toner-downer was needed to stop/reverse the abundance of chemical reactions going on in my hair and that I have "very sensitive hair. Did I know that?" For the record, this toner stuff REEKS... peee-uuuu...
Needless to say, at this point I was kind of anxious to see what my hair looked like and lo-and-behold, when wet, my hair is a lovely array of orange (yes orange!), black (I've *never* seen parts of my hair this dark), brown, blond, & bleach-blond, aka white. I was quite stunned. I still am quite stunned. To top of the unexpected variation in colours, I discovered that she thought chunky highlights would look better on me than the thinner natural-looking ones I was asking for. Note to self: never let someone with pink in their hair do your hair...
Perhaps the weirdest moment of all was when she gave me the most confused/somewhat disgusted look when I answered he "So what do you think?" question (my answer was something like "this was not exactly what I was expecting...") I left more mad than upset and didn't tip a hair dresser for the first time ever.
Anyhoo, so the story continues as I realize that it is now shortly after five, meaning that I've spent waaaaaaaaay longer than anticipated getting my hair done and unless I pay for a cab, I'm going to be more than fashionably late to Dunc & Jess's Christmas party. God was good and sent me the best cabbie ever to my rescue. He told I looked mad so I told him the story and he said something along the lines of, "You know, I have really horrible customers sometimes too, but I figure I can't let them ruin my day. So you should just put that behind you, smile, and go have fun at your party." It was just what I needed and within an hour of being raving mad for having orange-black-blond-white chunky highlighted hair, I didn't feel so bad!
So what to do now? I've considered going swimming to see if the chlorine could add some green so I could be a rainbow for Christmas, but alas, I'm just going the wash-wash-wash-and-repeat method. A few people have assured me that it's not that bad, it's just...different... which I suppose is ok... Time will tell if I can handle this "Western-girl" look. :S
Ok enough about the hair. Here are some photos from the party:
The infamous "Green Dessert!"
Who says university students & young marrieds are too old for crafts?! This is my Christmas ornament that I made using a styrofoam ball, fabric pieces, & a butter knife. 
Making said craft... You can almost see some orange-ish hair in this photo, but it is pretty dark.
I'm not too sure what tomorrow has in store, but perhaps I shall start my Christmas shopping? What do you guys all want?
1 comment:
you need to put up pictures of your funny hair
Post a Comment