Summer program numero uno is going fairly well. It is always quite a joyous occassion to play and learn from such talented musicians from far and wide. Last week I did the Krommer Partita op. 69, Druschetzky Partita – sextet (if you ever have wanted to shoot yourself due to high instances of voice leading errors, I highly recommend you avoid ever hearing this piece :S), and Strauss Suite op. 4. This week I'm working on the Mozart Octet K. 375 and Myslivicek Octet #3.
While the musical quality here is enough to excite the bassoon geek in me to high levels, the 2-5 2 1/2 hr rehearsals per day, filled with bickering, differing musical opinions, and sheer s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y make me want to quit professional music all together. It is also very mentally demanding to spend 7 hours a day performing at your very highest abilities.
I have got some really encouraging comments about my playing but at the same time I am also noticing that my love for the bassoon really isn't at the same level of some of the others. And I'm not sure I would fit in with an orchestra per se where my desire to be there would be less than my colleagues. On the otherhand though, not being obsessed with bassoonery (all things bassoon) is one of the reasons why I've been able to get so far without any injuries, major playing burnouts, etc. .
Changing subjects slightly, Alex Klein did a masterclass and concert on Monday. Not only was his oboe masterclass extremely informative and helpful, but his concert was top notch. Beginning with the Bach Suite No. 1 (S 1007 -- guaranteed you'd all recognize the first movement) on the bass oboe, I was so brought into his musical mind; it was fantastic :). He is definitely one of the best performers that I have ever seen in terms of stage presence and musicality. I would post up a youtube video to demonstrate my point, but for the umpteenth time, there are no quality performances of him on youtube (as a case in point of how important it is for artists to have their own videos put up on youtube, here is Alex Klein in a GEIKO advertisement?!?!?! found by searching his name...
... seriously, musicians, it is time to invest some energy into promoting your musical abilities on youtube...).
Well that is probably enough ranting from me for one day :P
Two more weeks here in Ontariario and then on the 15th I fly out to Quebec with my technically oversized (by 1 1/2 inches) bassoon case as a carryon item. Should be fun times :D
No comments:
Post a Comment