... too surprised that I didn't keep up with the blogging that is. My computer started speaking in tongues the day after my last post. I had access to Len's laptop for a decent enough chunk of time but it's not quite the same (blogging on someone else's computer). Alas my new computer has come in the mail (a Dell) and it is nice and freaking cold outside and it's nice and warm in here. What better blogging weather could one ask for?
So to round up the holiday recap, here's a list of festive accomplishments from the past few weeks.
Bassoon Repair
I bit the bullet and took my bassoon into Marcus Wieler's for its yearly checkup that I do every two years... It playeth like a dream now which suprisingly enough always shocks me... Repairs=better sound?!?! Really?!?! Ah well, one day I will learn. In any case, I bought a new Marcus Bona case (oooooh WORD PLAY!). If you are not familiar with the awesomeness that is Marcus Bona, you should take an internet walk over to his website - http://www.mbcases.com.br/. My case is sooooo much lighter and my instrument doesn't rock around in it (beware of Yamaha cases people! It didn't work for me!). My instrument has also increased a bit in value. Never a bad thing. Yay bassoon trip.
A Concordian Christmas
Spending Christmas at Lenny's family's place in Concord was a little more strange than I anticipated but I did feel very welcome and had a good time all around. Dec. 23 I got to meet his God parents (who are referred to as Aunt and Uncle like every other person of significance... :P), followed by Dec. 24 dinner at his Grandmother's house in Maple and midnight mass in Vaughn (I think). I got to eat the traditional sea food Italian Christmas dinner although I stayed away from the sardines... they still kind of freak me out a bit. Midnight mass was half in Italian and half in English. The homily was presented by a Japanese-Canadian who is studying in Rome so I amused myself with trying to understand what was going on and had a lot of fun at that too. Christmas Day we all headed over to a real Aunt and Uncle's place with about 10-15 other people for a lasagna, veal, and sweets galore dinner. I ate *so* much good food that day. Wow. Just recalling it now is making me hungry. Boxing Day we headed up to Mildmay for a more traditional turkey Christmas dinner. I was mighty happy to get the turkey and stuffing in. :)
Brockvegas Travels
We headed back to Brockville on the 27th and had a fairly happy drive considering it tooks us close to seven hours from Mildmay. Starksy was off course *very* happy to see us and it was a nice comforting feeling to be "home" for Christmas. My mom had done a really nice job with all of the Christmas decorations and the slew of presents awaiting us was also lots of fun. New Years Eve we headed up to Ottawa for the Resolution Run. It was a very snowy 5-km run along the Rideau Canal but still very pretty and gratifying to complete it. After spending some more time with my family, we headed back on the 2nd through some pretty intense snow fall.
The first week of school has been a pretty big blur: so much practicing, lots of reading, and lots of stressing out. I'm going to go work some of that stress off now in a run. Take care everyone -- hope you had a wonderful holiday too!
No comments:
Post a Comment