Well here we are; mid-October. Things are going pretty well... in fact, things are going very well. Compared to all of my other university years, I have to say that having someone to de-stress with and to remind you to smile a bunch really does make life a lot more enjoyable. It has been tricky balance school (x2), work (x3), cooking, and exercising, but all-in-all I am still in pretty good spirits.
My first orchestra concert in over a year went really well. It was a lot of fun to play again albeit the first concert of the year is always considerably more shaky than any of the others. I'm hopeful that despite having a more difficult line-up for the next concert, we'll continue to improve.
This week is mid-term week -- probably why I'm procrastinating on the Blog! Tuesday I have an Italian Test, Wednesday I have a Seminar midterm (basically about how to write bibliographies, how to write with "Scholastic Grammar," and how to properly generate an outline), and finally on Saturday I have a midterm for my course in Compensation. Here are some tidbits about those classes:
Italian - It is really fun; my teacher is Italian and makes very funny English errors that amuse me. The other day we had a conversation about why Italian-Canadians say "close the lights" instead of "turn off the lights" when they use the verb "to turn off" when they use the expression in Italian. I got no conclusive answer, but he ended up announcing the "close of class" at the end of the lecture and I had a good chuckle inside.
We've started to learn regular verbs now which is vastly increasing my ability to communicate. I look forward to spending part of the Christmas holidays with Lenny's family; I'm curious to see how much more I understand!
Seminar - Again my professor is a great source of enjoyment here. It is really nice, as a new professor, to have the opportunity to be simultaneously taking a class given by one of the great music professors here. The content we study (mainly things related to scholarly writing) is also most helpful. w00t. I am a nerd. :)
Compensation - I'm taking this class for part of my business degree components. It is not so much fun. It has one of the those textbooks where there are no pictures and all the text is in black and white with few study aids. Probably the worst textbook I've ever had in university, which is saying something... I'm now up to taking over 30 courses. Man I am getting old for this sort of thing. Ugh.
Speaking of old, Lenny and I were at a party chatting with other university-addicts, and we figured out that if we were to do PhDs or DMAs, we would graduate in 2015. 2015. That sounds really far away. :S
Well that's about it for now. I'm going to try to get to bed early so that I can be all ready for the onslaught of reading and studying I'm going to inflict on myself tomorrow. Hopefully something exciting will happen in the next little while and you'll all get a post soon :)
No comments:
Post a Comment